Monday, September 1, 2008

First Day of School

Today was the first day of school here in China.  All 4 children will be attending the same school all day long.  It was one of those bittersweet moments that I thought I might cry, but then I realized I could go shopping all day long and not have to worry about the kids being home alone or anything.  I am free!!!!!! Eric is now a kindergartener!!!! We were a little worried that he wouldn't make it to his first day with his cold but he pulled it off (just barely) with being well enough to go.  After his first day I asked him what his favorite part af school was and his response was: "Reading the books, playing on the playground, everything!!!"  I told him I would miss him and I got my favorite answer from all my kids when they start kindergarten. "But mom,  I will come back!!"  Life is good when you know your kids want to come back. (At least at this age)

Emma was up and ready before I knew it.  She even had her done!! She was so excited to be the big sister at her school now that Heidi moved to the middle school.  She helped us take Eric to his class and then went happily to her own class.  After school I asked her what her favorite part of the first day of school was and she replied: "Music, because we played a game where we had to sing our name.  I had to sing my name really high."

Heidi was so excited to start middle school.  Here in China the 5th graders get to start middle school. (at least at the school she attends)  She got a locker and gets to switch classes a little and take band and drama and change for P.E.  She was all up and ready to go quickly also.  Last night she told me she was so excited she couldn't sleep.  Aahhh, I remember being that excited for school to start.  David said he was never that excited for school to start,  how weird!!!! Heidi was the first kid I spotted after school and she told me she loved middle school and had a great day.  Later when I asked her what her favorite part of the first day of school was, she replied: "Drama, because we played 2 awesomely fun games." I had no idea Heidi would love drama so much.  She did say that she didn't like her mandarin class because there are only 6 students and 5 of them are boys!!!! Her teacher also said she had to sit up straight with her feet on the ground and not crossed.  Apparently while they were doing something Heidi for got and crossed her legs and was reminded that was not acceptable.  The chinese can be so strict sometimes, I guess.  But she should be a great mandarin speaker. (I hope!!!!)

Last but not least is Meagan.  I think she has been looking forward to school more than any of the other kids.  She transfered over from Dulwich College which is a British school and very strict also.  The dress code is a little more lenient here.  She can choose between navy or khaki bottoms and navy or white polos.  She can also wear whatever shoes she wants and can leave her hair down, have her nails painted and wear dangly earrings.  Oh the things that are important when you are 13.  She also has about half of the classes.  We were so proud that she chose to take mandarin instead of Spanish. When you reach the 8th grade you can choose between mandarin, spanish and french.  After she came home from school I asked her what the best part of the first day of school was and she replied, "Drama because it's a fun class and I have it almost everyday."  Wow!! 2 kids that love drama.  I hope they continue that love and have a great year.

All the cute kids ready for their fun and exciting first day.  I only hope that they keep this excitement and enthusiasm for a while.  It makes getting up and sending them to school not so hard somedays when I want them to just stay little and be with me a little bit longer.  But as each and every one of them has told me, "I will come back, mom"  And I will wait anxiously for each of them to do that and share with me the new things they learned and did.  It is always a highlight of  my day!!!!!!

3 comments:

Marilyn Lewis said...

I can't believe that Eric is in kindergarten....makes me realize how long I've known you all. I remember when he was born! They look cute!

Justin and Andrea said...

I know what you mean by wanting to have your kids just a little bit longer.....Brayden is now in kindergarten and I know that he loves it, but it sure is different than when he just went to preschool. I am glad that your kids are loving school and keep up the awesome work with your blog....and I will do the same.

Tami said...

You know what it means when the kids are in school and you're home alone? That it's time to go exploring!! I'm ready when you are....