Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Philipines Day 3

Today we thought we would explore a little. Heidi's teacher is from the Philipines and said he always loved going to the Mall of Asia. So we thought we would check it out. It is Huge!!! We went into a store kind of like a Walmart. We were hoping to find some white chocolate so I can make some more truffles and lo and behold we did!!! We also got some microwave popcorn, magic shell ice cream sauce, lemon flavoring and dried mangoes to bring back to Heidi's teacher. Outside the mall is this giant globe. We thought it looked very cool. You could also go to the shore (I guess we can call it that). Lots of people liked sitting on the wall and eating lunch or talking. My girls just like posing everywhere. We were amazed at how many people went to the mall to hang out all day. In the evening when the mall was closing it was a mass exodus of people. We thought it was interesting to see so many people leaving when the mall was closing. In America when it is getting close to closing most people have already left. One of our favorite restaurants in the Philipines was one we found at the Mall of Asia. It was call Italianni's. Eric ordered the make your own pizza. He had a blast making it and then was so pleased when it came back all cooked. They even gave him an apron that he got to take home. He said he was a Superhero the rest of the day. Another thing our kids loved doing was watching the Disney Channel in the evenings and mornings. We had no idea how much they missed that channel. While the kids wanted to watch Disney Channel, David and I thought we could walk around and find where church was going to be the next day. We found some interesting things on our journey. How many places do you hear a guy playing his electric guitar with an amp and singing on the side of the street? He wasn't too bad either. Also I have no idea what "Eyelash Perming" is. Can anyone out there enlighten me? We walked to this park that the walls are all crypts with dead people in them. David thought it was cool and I was a little creeped out. They were also having a wedding there in the middle of the "cemetery park" as I called it. Another thing we love is walking around and seeing the roosters and chickens just tied up on the grass by the street. In the Philipines they have these vehicles called "Trikes". Some of them have a bicycle on one side and then the carriage on the side and others have motorcycles. This was our driver after David and I had gone exploring and decided we were tired and wanted a ride back to our hotel. Our eyes have truly been opened to a whole new way of life.

1 comment:

Alison Wilde said...

Wow!!! I love reading about your time in the Philippines. You had completely different experiences there than we did---I think I need some tour notes from your family! Looks like a great time!